Development of the Lakes of Brightwater began in the mid-1980s with the major build-out being completed in the 1990s. The subdivision is highly attractive with beautiful landscaping and is a very desirable neighborhood for people wanting a friendly, active community. The lakes in Brightwater are unlike most others found in Missouri City and Sugar Land. When the water level rises with heavy rainfall, the overflow goes into Oyster Creek making flooding in Brightwater less likely.
- The Lakes of Brightwater subdivision is in Missouri City, Texas, north of Highway 6, west of Murphy Road (FM 1092), south of Lexington and east of Dulles. Oyster Creek forms the western boundary of Brightwater.
- A ten-minute trip on Highway 6 will take you to First Colony Mall.
- Sugar Land’s Methodist, Memorial Hermann and CHI St. Luke’s Hospitals are nearby.
- It takes only 20 minutes to get to the Texas Medical Center.
- The Lakes of Brightwater has a sidewalk along its large lake, a private neighborhood swimming pool, tennis courts, a large playground, and four parks within its borders.
- The Fort Bend Family YMCA is ⅓ mile from Brightwater on Cartwright.
- The Missouri City Edible Arbor Trail runs along Oyster Creek and is a popular walking/biking trail.
- Fort Bend County has seven public and seven private golf courses.
- Brazos Bend State Park is a short hop south on I-59.
- The Missouri City police and fire departments are ¼ mile from the Cartwright (southern entrance) to the neighborhood.
- Public schools are part of the Fort Bend Independent School District.
- Fort Bend County was named for a blockhouse (fort) once located at a bend in the Brazos River.
- In 2011, USA Today ranked Fort Bend County as the fourth-most racially diverse county in the United States, and our subdivision reflects those demographics.
- Forbes lists Fort Bend County as the fifth fastest growing county in the U.S.
- In the Presidential Election of 2012, Fort Bend County went 52.9% Republican and 46.8% Democrat. In 2016, it went 44.8% Republican and 51.4% Democrat. It is considered to be a swing county.